I am participating in the Gayle Forman Read Along that is organized by Brittany from The Book Addict’s Guide! (Visit her blog for more info or if you want to sign up!) The first book in the Read Along will be Sisters in Sanity and is hosted by Judith at Paper Riot.
1. Let’s talk about the most important thing here: Brit + Jed. How do you feel about them finally getting together? Do you think there’s a future for them if Brit gets out of the Red Rock?
Yes I do! Okay, those two are just too cute. And his letters to her? Brit phrased it perfectly: “Swoon.” =) He seems to really care and I can see that progressing in the future.
2. When Brit gets caught, V takes the blame. Why do you think she’d do that? Do you think there’s more to V than we’ve seen so far? And why would Brit be furious? Do you think this is a normal reaction?
I understood Brit’s reaction — I’d be upset if it were me too. I’d just feel like I would owe her so much I wouldn’t know how to repay it. I would feel way too responsible and feel like it was my fault even if the other girls say it’s because they’re friends and V’s got her back. I did get a little suspicious because V was the one who came up with the whole escape plan and then she’s taking the blame? Something just seemed off.
3. “Maybe I was going to end up crazy too. Not the carving-my-skin, barfing-up-my-lunch, ditching-class- types that passed for crazy at Red Rock. But voices-in-my-head crazy. Crazy like my mother.” Brit is afraid she’ll end up like her mother. Why does she think this? Do you think she should feel this way? Would you feel this way?
I would feel this way, too. I mean, it can be genetic, right? And she is similar to her mother in different aspects, such as her personality, so if I were in her shoes, I would be worried too. It’d just be one of those nagging thoughts in the back of your mind because you just don’t KNOW for sure. I’m a bit of a hypochondriac so I can see myself being afraid just like Brit.
4. Brit’s dad comes to visit, and Brit is angry at him for sending her to the Red Rock. Why did he send her there? Do you think he even knows himself? And do you think he’s right?
I think he sent her there maybe because he felt helpless. He couldn’t do anything to stop what happened with Brit’s mom so he thinks that maybe if he sought out help for Brit (however misguided that was, since she doesn’t really need “help”) that would be the right thing to do. Perhaps. Or perhaps he just didn’t know what to do. He should’ve addressed any issues with Brit first before carting her off though!! I definitely felt Brit’s hurt. =(
5. And then, finally, we learn that Martha is in the hospital. For Brit, this is the final drop. She’s ready to kick some Red Rock butt. How do you feel about Martha? And what do you think Brit and the Sisters are going to do? Do you think they’ll succeed?
I was SO ANGRY. Martha is just the sweetest!! I wanted to hit someone. The poor girl! I was totally with Brit — it’s time for action.
“It was time to awaken my inner rebel, time to kick some ass.” – pg 213
Okay, so then I was totally excited for this ass kicking to happen that I couldn’t stop reading and ended up finishing the book. =\