So I finally read Shatter Me! I now know what everyone’s been talking about! Since just about everyone has read these books already, instead of doing reviews, I’m just going to post the thoughts I wrote down as I read Shatter Me, Unravel Me and the novellas Destroy Me and Fracture Me! It should be entertaining. I binge read them all in a matter of days! Enjoy my stream of consciousness thoughts as I read!
(There are not really any spoilers. My thoughts on the later books may have slight spoilers to the previous — but not really.)
Thoughts on Shatter Me:
- The writing style: I adore it! The imagery is beautiful. The way Mafi strings words together is amazing and enrapturing. Also, the way she writes Juliette’s thoughts with strike throughs — interesting and definitely different!
- (About roughly halfway through): I just do NOT understand how a Team Warner exists. How? Why?? He is horrible!
- Final thoughts: Oh my god, this book was amazing. Why did I wait so long to read?? Literally could not put it down. I am now brimming with feels. Also! I am firmly in Team Adam territory here. He is so caring and wonderful and I love him. I hear this Warner novella will change my mind… we shall see! Destroy Me… here I come!
Thoughts on Destroy Me:
- Okay… he cares for her but in a totally obsessive stalkerish kind of way. I mean he gets jealous when other people talk to her! Total creeper sign, right??
- 58%: Okay. I do not hate Warner with the ferocity I used to. I am understanding him and his choices. However, I am still not his biggest fan.
- Differences between Adam’s love and Warner’s love: I feel like Warner loves her because he sees himself in her and he’s lonely and he thinks they’re the same. He is obsessed. I feel like he wants her more for him than for her. Adam sees her goodness, the part that everyone else seems to have forgotten. He sees her as simply another human being.
- Final thoughts: Yes, Destroy Me gave me insight about Warner. He is not wholly evil. However, I still think that he loves the idea of Juliette, not her. I don’t hate him. But. I still love Adam.
Thoughts on Unravel Me:
- Oh hiii swoony Adam scene right off the bat! Yes!
- Kenji! I absolutely love him. He’s hilarious and thank you for telling it like it is! He is amazing and may be my favorite character. I wonder about his past — I’m very curious. Maybe we’ll get some novella about him?? One can dream.
- Warner. Ugh, excuse me while I go throw up. I’m sorry to all Warner fans. While I don’t hate him, I still cannot stand him! And I was having almost physical reactions to the infamous Chapter 62 – swallowing repeatedly to keep my stomach calm and desperately wishing for a drink to get me through… yes, I know I’m being dramatic but it’s necessary.
- One thing’s for sure – Tahereh sure knows how to write swoony scenes! Well, I would’ve been swooning if that had been Adam…
- Juliette: I get her feelings. I do. But I wanted her to snap out of it already! Thank god for Kenji!
- I wish Adam was in the book more! Can’t wait to see his novella!!
- Final thoughts: Wish there had been more action. Lots of character development that was necessary in this one but not too much actually happened. Looks like we’ll see in Ignite Me! I can’t wait!
Thoughts on Fracture Me:
- Well… I am really disappointed. I was SO looking forward to Adam’s novella, because Destroy Me provided so much insight and was so gripping, and I kind of expected the same I guess. But half of it goes over the events at the end of Unravel Me and while I do like POVs from different characters, I felt like it didn’t add anything to those scenes. It was like half of it was just a repeat.
- I did enjoy seeing Adam with his brother. But I feel like it was just so short. And I love Adam. I guess I just wanted…more.