So, some of these questions I couldn’t answer as well since I just picked reading back up this year and just started blogging in May, BUT, I still wanted to partake of the survey! Sooo here goes.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
I am definitely cheating and breaking it into genres! How would I have just chosen ONE??
Contemporary YA – Apparently I read a lot of contemps once I started blogging! Crazy because I almost never did before! Okay — Katie McGarry! I’m cheating and lumping all 3 together (Pushing the Limits, Dare You To, Crash into You) because I loved all of them with all my heart.
Historical Fiction – Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein! I looved historical fiction as a kid and this was the first in the genre I’d read in awhile — absolutely amazing.
Science Fiction — Pivot Point by Kasie West – is this sci-fi or paranormal? Hmm whatever, I’m putting it here.
Fantasy — Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo — gosh I loved this so much!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I don’t really have one. Since I just picked up reading more this year, I really didn’t have any books that I was excited about to come out since I had no idea what was out there!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I’d have to say the Vampire Academy series. I really didn’t think I’d like vampires. I was kind of skeptical, because I honestly hated Twilight and was all anti-vampire but I am now ALL PRO vampire because hellooo Dimitri Belikov! (ok he kills them but he made me amenable to vampires if that makes sense)
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I felt like I received recs more since I was rediscovering YA and books again! But to my friends outside of blogging I think I recommended the Lux series the most.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
ALL OF THEM! No, for real. I’m not sure how I lived without knowing about all these awesome books before. I’m trying to make up the sad lost years of reading. I haven’t even read a lot of awesome series that everyone talks about but I’m getting there! (What series do YOU think I need to read??)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Related to the above question, all of them! Haha, well at least all my faves are new to me this year. I will say that what made me discover book blogs and this whole community was after I whipped through the Covenant and Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout. I was eager to find out about next releases so I went to her site and from there stumbled on book blogs. I was like, what is this amazingness that I never knew about?? So, THANK YOU, Jennifer because I wouldn’t be here otherwise!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Adult romance was a new genre for me — never read it at all before. I adore the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis I started reading, my fave so far is Head Over Heels.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Oh gosh. This is tough but I’m going to say Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas! I don’t think I moved from my chair the entire time I read!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I think possibly Origin by Jennifer Armentrout because I’ll want to refresh my memory before the final book Opposition comes out!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I bought a hard copy because I just ADORED the cover so much. I wish I knew who the cover model for Isaiah was!!
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Just about all the characters from my faves list! But to throw in some variety, I’m going to say Leah from Dirty Red by Tarryn Fisher. She is quite possibly the most evil person I’ve ever met and I’ve never hated someone so much and yet still liked the book (that’s told in her POV!) She is DEFINITELY memorable!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Shatter Me and Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi — seriously, I loved the way it was written! So much imagery, metaphors and crazy personification that is just beautifully put together!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
If by greatest impact, you mean, yanked my heart out and made me ugly cry, that would be If I Stay by Gayle Forman.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
All the books. As a fiercely avid reader for most of my life (from when I was a kid through high school) I can’t believe I barely read anything again until this year!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I have so many favorite quotes! This is tough. The one that pops into my head is one that had me hugging my book as I read it: (from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead):
“If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her.”
“I know that. Of course that’s what you have to do.” The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
“No. If I let myself love you, I won’t throw myself in front of her. I’ll throw myself in front of you.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this yeaer that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest– discounting novellas, Girl on Tour by Caisey Quinn (181 pages)
Longest — The Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead (594 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
WTF moment: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher — I was SERIOUSLY going to chuck my kindle out the window. There were about 3 huge WTF moments and THANK GOD for Chelsea also up late finishing it because I would’ve died if I hadn’t been able to talk to her!
Epic revelation: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas — I was basically crazy DM-ing Danielle and Estelle while reading because THAT BOOK. It’s… trust me, when you read it, you’ll need someone to talk to!!
Steamy kiss: Chapter 62 of Unravel Me but mostly because I wanted to puke — sorry Warner fans…. I’m all Adam.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romance – Too many!! Rose & Dimitri (VA), Alex & Aiden (Covenant), Katy and Daemon (Lux), Noah & Echo (Pushing the Limits)
Friendship – Maddie & Verity (Code Name Verity), Noah & Isaiah (PtL, DYT, CIY)
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I actually have never read any of these authors before!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas — I got it after reading Danielle‘s review!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Apparently it was contemporary! Surprising.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
All. Since all the books were new to me. =)
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Pivot Point by Kasie West! It was AMAZING.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The Shatter Me series!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
I’m going to translate fun as what had me laughing the most and that would be Tangled by Emma Chase!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, Blood Promise by Richelle Mead, Sentinel by Jennifer Armentrout.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I’m actually not sure! Let me know what I’m missing out on!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
ALL THE BLOGS! haha. But I love my GwB gals — we chat all the time and have done some fun read alongs! (Links on my side bar) Speaking of, we need to do more read alongs soon!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I think Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo! Mostly because it was so hard for me to write because I loved it so much I wasn’t sure how to articulate my thoughts! I hopefully was able to do that well!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I’m not sure that I had very many discussion posts! New Year’s resolution: incorporate more discussion posts on the blog! Especially because I love it on other blogs!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I know there has been many because I love discussion posts on others’ blogs but I honestly cannot think of any right now! =\
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
While I loved the Vegas Valley Book Fest (SO many amazing authors), I had a LOT of fun at the Seattle Author Event because I got to go with Chelsea and it was my first BIG event, plus book events are 10x more fun with a friend!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I think it’s the many little moments when I realize all the awesome people I’ve gotten to meet and are my friends and the fact that I get to interact with other AWESOME readers and authors! I’m so glad I started blogging!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I’m too lazy to check views. Most comments was my 25 days of book boyfriends post — well, who wouldn’t want Cam’s cookies? 😉
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Hmm, I guess any reviews? I did start blogging just in May so obviously, it took time to accumulate traffic — here’s to hoping for lots of love in 2014!
(…did that sound wrong to anyone else…? not intended)
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
This little used bookstore next to the Trader Joe’s I go to! They don’t have a big selection of YA but it’s fun to browse for cheap finds!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
So I suck and won’t make my GR reading goal (111 out of 120) but hey, I consider this an accomplishment since I hadn’t read double digit numbers since high school!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
A lot of series that I haven’t read that I feel like everyone else has! Cinder, Under the Never Sky, Throne of Glass, Mortal Instruments, Infernal Devices — hold the tomatoes guys, keep in mind I just got back into YA this year! Number 1 priority, I swear. =)
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Oh my god, seriously, ONE book. HA! I’m dying for Opposition by Jennifer Armentrout (while we’re talking about her — Be With Me, White Hot Kiss, okay, all her books), Split Second by Kasie West, Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo, Take Me On by Katie McGarry, Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi — just to name a few.
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Oohhh good question. I’m sorry, it’s late and I’m blanking. But there are PLENTY I’m sure.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
OPPOSITION by Jennifer Armentrout! And Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I want to have more discussion posts, as I mentioned above. I also hope to schedule things ahead more so I don’t have huge gaps of no posts when school takes over.